This beautifully scenic paddle will take us past Harpers Ferry National Historic Park down through Bull Falls, the Staircase, Mad Dog and White Horse Rapids—literally the best whitewater in the Harpers Ferry area. It’s gonna be sooo much fun!! Stretches of this paddle are along the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail.
But how can it work for stone-cold rookies all the way up to grizzled veterans wanting to strut their stuff in shredders and play boats? Easy. We are all running the same water, but with 3 different boat configurations:
- Seat in a guided raft: For folks wanting to experience the thrill, but with a modicum of protection added in, we have contracted with River Riders to provide six-person (plus the guide) rafts to be expertly guided down the river. You are not just sitting there watching. You are an integral part of the team with a paddle in hand and you will be working with your guide and fellow raft mates to navigate your way down the river. Perfect for families, first-timers and older folks!!
- Ducky: Want to be the captain of your own ship but don’t have a ship to captain? Sign up for a River Rider ducky rental! Duckies are inflatable kayaks, incredibly forgiving, and a blast to paddle. Experience whitewater paddling for yourself in a friendly environment with lots of paddlers and raft guides to provide encouragement and assistance if needed.
- Shuttle Service: Have your own whitewater kayak (sorry, no canoes for this event) but want to join in the fun? You’re in luck! River Riders is providing shuttle service for our RiverPalooza 2017 event. River Riders guides are not responsible for people paddling their own boats. Sign up now so you can say ‘been there! done that! and got the t-shirt too!!’.
Once we dry off and catch our breath from the trip, we will head back to River Riders where everyone can get gussied up, hop in your vehicles and then drive over to Harpers Ferry Adventure Center for the RiverPalooza 2017 Make a Splash for Clean Water kick off party!! Come celebrate the start of Potomac Riverkeeper Network’s RiverPalooza 2017, a four month celebration of the beauty of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers and the Riverkeepers’ hard work of protecting the rivers’ clean water.
Outfitter and Arrival Location:
River Riders, Inc.
408 Alstadts Hill Rd
Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
Arrival Time: 12 noon for paddle trip with anticipated take-out time of 4:30 PM
Paddle Distance: 7 miles
Skill level: Beginner to advanced
Boat Options and Costs including registration for party:
- Ducky rental: $75
- Raft: $85 per raft seat
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Boat): $35 per boat for the shuttle. WHITE WATER KAYAKS ONLY–NO CANOES. BYOB is not considered part of the guided float
Free RiverPalooza T-shirt for first 50 registrants!
Participant Limit: 100 people. Registration closes June 1.
Party included with registration:
- BBQ Dinner (w/ vegetarian options) by King Street Blues
- Beer (if of age) Music by The Barefoot Movement bluegrass band from Nashville
Location: Harpers Ferry Adventure Center, 37410 Adventure Center Lane, Purcellville, VA 20132
Party Time: 5:00 PM- 8:00 PM
OPTIONAL ACTIVITY AFTER ALL FLOATS AND THE PARTY:
At Harpers Ferry Adventure Center [Contact center for reservations. Located at 37410 Adventure Center Lane, Purcellville, VA 20130 Phone: (540) 668-9007] Potomac Riverkeeper Network is not responsible for securing reservations.
Follow us on social media at #RiverPalooza2017
EVERY PADDLE PARTICIPANT must print, fill out and bring their ACA waiver with them on the day of the event. Depending on your trip, you may also need to bring an outfitter waiver. Please see your confirmation email for details.